HammondCare is committed to handling your personal and health information responsibly in compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW).
This policy explains how we collect, store, use and disclose the personal or health information that you provide to HammondCare. This policy applies to all of your dealings with HammondCare whether in person, in writing, by telephone or via our website. References to “HammondCare” in this policy include HammondCare’s wholly owned subsidiaries, HammondCare Health and Hospitals Limited and Strathearn Village, unless the context indicates otherwise.
Collection, use, disclosure and storage of your personal or health information
Collection: We only collect personal information if it is reasonably necessary for our functions or activities. We only collect health information if we are providing a health service to you or where it is reasonably necessary for our functions or activities and you have given consent.
HammondCare’s functions or activities relate to the delivery of dementia and aged care, palliative care, rehabilitation and older persons' mental health.
Our reason for collecting personal information will normally be apparent from the way it is collected and if not, it will be explained at the time of collection. If at any time our purpose for collecting your personal information is not clear, please raise your concerns with the person collecting your information or contact us using the contact details at the end of this document.
Use or disclosure: HammondCare will only use your personal or health information for:
- The primary purpose(s) for which you have provided the information
- A secondary purpose related to the primary purpose(s) of collection
- A purpose you have consented to
- A purpose otherwise permitted by law.
HammondCare may disclose your personal or health information to:
- Other people such as your next of kin, your appointed representative or your carer (unless you request otherwise)
- Your General Practitioner or other health professionals involved in your care
- State and federal authorities such as the NSW Ministry of Health, the Commonwealth Department of Social Services, or private health funds
- Contractors or service providers who assist in delivering HammondCare’s services or who support our internal business and administrative operations. In these cases, your personal or health information may be stored overseas. When we engage the services of such third parties, we take reasonable steps to ensure that they comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and maintain the confidentiality of any personal or health information.
The types of personal or health information which we obtain from you will depend on the nature of your relationship with HammondCare – whether, for example, you are a resident, client, patient, donor, job applicant, contractor, supplier or staff member. The types of health or personal information we may collect about you include your:
- Date of birth
- Address, telephone number(s) and email address
- Government identifiers (such as your Medicare number)
- Medical history
- Emergency contact details
- Bank and credit card details
- Employment history and educational background.
Any new personal or health information you give to us – for example, on each occasion you receive services from HammondCare – may be added to our records. You do not have to give us the information we request from you. But please note that not doing so may impact on our ability to provide you with the goods or services you require.
Directly: Personal and health information will only be collected from the person concerned, unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. If personal or health information is collected about a person from someone else, reasonable steps will be taken to ensure that the person whose information has been collected is notified.
Anonymously: You have the option of interacting with HammondCare on an anonymous basis or by the use of a pseudonym, where this is lawful and practicable. For example, you may choose to remain anonymous when making a donation or lodging feedback.
Accurately: HammondCare takes reasonable steps to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up to date. To assist us with this, please provide us with correct information and inform us if your details change.
Securely: HammondCare takes reasonable steps to ensure that the personal or health information it collects and holds is protected from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Personal and health information kept by HammondCare in printed form is stored in secure premises; in electronic form, it is held in secure storage systems requiring login details and passwords. Access to personal or health information is limited to those who specifically require it to conduct their responsibilities.
While HammondCare uses all reasonable endeavours to ensure that the personal and health information you provide is protected from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of any data transmission over the internet. HammondCare does not accept responsibility for the security of information transmitted to or from us via the internet. Subject to HammondCare’s legal obligations, we do not retain personal and health information any longer than necessary and we de-identify or dispose of it appropriately when it is no longer required.
Openly: You have the right to access your personal information and request its correction. Please contact us using the contact details at the end of this document if you wish to view and/or correct any personal or health information we hold about you. For security reasons, a written request may be required to access your health information. We are committed to granting you access to your personal information within a reasonable time frame. We will not refuse you access unless there are legal reasons for doing so. In such circumstances, we will explain those reasons to you.
If you have any concerns or wish to lodge a complaint regarding the privacy of your personal or health information, please forward the details in writing to HammondCare at the postal or email address listed at the end of this document. We will respond within a reasonable period and in the manner requested if it is reasonable and practicable to do so. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can contact the Australian Information Commissioner’s hotline on 1300 363 992 or on +61 2 9284 9749 from outside Australia. Alternatively, you can send written enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001.
For further information about privacy issues in Australia, you can visit the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at www.privacy.gov.au.
The circumstances in which we collect your personal or health information may vary depending on the nature of your relationship with HammondCare. For example, we may collect your personal or health information from you when you are:
- Applying to receive/are receiving health and aged care services from HammondCare
- Enquiring about HammondCare’s independent living accommodation
- Making a donation
- Participating in research that HammondCare is undertaking
- Receiving dementia consultancy services from the HammondCare Dementia Centre
- Undertaking training through HammondCare’s Dementia Centre or its Registered Training Organisation
- Attending a conference delivered by HammondCare
- Purchasing a HammondPress publication on a HammondCare website
- Using the “Contact Us” form on the HammondCare website
- A subscriber to a HammondCare mailing list
- Applying for employment with HammondCare
- A contractor or supplier to HammondCare.
HammondCare's website security policy
When making a donation to HammondCare or purchasing our products online, your financial details are passed through a secure server using encryption technology. We regularly review our practices to ensure that our supporters are protected online. If you have any questions about our security policy, please contact us on the contact details at the end of this document.
When donating to HammondCare your personal information is collected to process donations, issue tax receipts and send updates. Please note that all donations and sales via our website are processed in Australian dollars.
Contacting us about privacy
If you would like to discuss these, or any other issues relating to privacy, call us on 1300 426 666, send an email to email@example.com or write to us at Level 2, 447 Kent Street, Sydney NSW 2000.